We are fortunate to have twelve parks in Brookhaven. Some are large and some small. Some parks are just playing fields, others have green space and playgrounds. They are all economically beneficial to our commercial and retail businesses that are nearby. Local parks drive traffic and increase sales for our small businesses. They also increase the property values of our homes.
There are two recreation centers that we can use for civic and sporting events. Fortunately for our new city, the recreation centers are at two ends of the city so every neighborhood has access to them. Many of us take advantage of the parks. Unfortunately, many of our residents find them inaccessible.
I have a vision of a city of Brookhaven where our neighborhoods are joined together with bicycle trails and sidewalks that make our parks and retail centers more accessible. We especially need sidewalks on some of our busy streets. I have a vision of a Brookhaven where we can walk or ride our bikes to the parks without getting in our cars and battling the heavy traffic on our city streets.
Here are some other things I’d do as Mayor to improve our city parks:
- I want to make our parks fun and safe for our children to play. That means we need to repair and enhance the playground equipment, add and repair picnic tables and make sure our swimming pools are operational.
- Provide summer, school vacation and after-school camps for our children.
- Provide more recreational events and playing fields for our children.
- Establish a city community gardens program.
- Reduce pollution in our streams and lakes and make sure that we have proper drainage to reduce flooding.