State Rep. Scott Holcomb said he is optimistic a federal judge will validate the Georgia law allowing Gov. Nathan Deal to suspend members of the DeKalb County school board.
"But we're still looking at a process that, best case, will take at least two months to sort out," Holcomb said during a Monday night town hall at Clairmont Baptist Church in Brookhaven.
Earlier in the day, Deal announced that he is signing an executive order that accepts the State Board of Education's recommendation that six DeKalb school board members be removed.
However, in a legal move late Friday afternoon, the school board filed an emergency motion in federal court, hoping to stop the governor from taking any action.
Over the weekend, a federal judge issued a restraining order that prevents the suspension of six DeKalb school board officials by Gov. Nathan Deal. The order does not prevent Deal from suspending the school board members, but does prohibit their actual suspension until a hearing is convened on Friday.
"I'm sympathetic to the fact that it's difficult to remove officials who have been duly elected," Holcomb said. "But when you allow people to remain in office who have failed - and this board has failed - against the greater good of the community, it's not a hard decision.
"I have not heard anyone advocating that this board should be given more time."
Gov. Deal Suspends Six DeKalb School Board Members
Judge Grants Restraining Order Against Suspension of DeKalb School Board
School Board Files Emergency Motion Motion to Stop Possible Suspension
Replay Patch's Live Coverage of the State Board of Education Hearing With the DeKalb School Board