With the leaves starting to drop, the time for autumn cleanup has arrived, so Amica Insurance is offering these tips from the National Safety Council for safe raking and lawn mowing this fall.
- Choose a rake that fits both your size and strength, and use gloves while raking to prevent blisters.
- Wear shoes or boots with slip-resistant soles, as wet leaves are often dangerous to walk on.
- Wear protective gear – like goggles, boots and long pants – when mowing, and never cut the lawn barefoot or in sandals.
- Make sure leaf bags aren’t too heavy, especially when leaves are wet. Bags should be easy to carry to prevent back injuries.
- If using a lawnmower, the engine should be off and cool before performing maintenance or refueling.
- Use a stick or broom handle when removing debris from under the mower. Don’t touch the blade with your hands or feet – even when the engine isn’t running – as it may still move and lead to serious injuries.