Did you make that list? The one with your goals on it for the new year?
On Paper or at least in your head? Unfortunately, many of those sincere intentions can fall by the wayside within one month. Well-known is the fitness syndrome whereby health club membership skyrockets in January and attendance nosedives in February.
Even with a strong initial vision and commitment, several factors often become obstacles:
- Time- the 24-hour day seems to be filled with work and other personal activities, which somehow squeezes out the 2013 intentions, particularly exercise and healthy eating since energy and planning are required.
- The Unexpected- stress comes in all shapes and sizes and can cause self-care to become minimized or “put on the back burner.”
- Lack of motivation- apathy can set in, especially if quick results are not realized. Discipline wanes with slow progress and without patience.
- Unrealistic expectations- change takes time and perseverance and necessitates support.
- Irrational beliefs- hidden, negative beliefs about yourself and your capabilities can sabotage your best efforts.
There are solutions to each of these issues. Here are a few suggestions:
- Place your written promises in plain view in order to integrate them into your consciousness each day.
- Make a verbal commitment to a trusted friend, advisor or coach.
- Utilize a daily list with your intentions high in priority.
- Create a pain/pleasure picture around each intention. What will be the negative consequences if the goal is not attained? (pain) What will be the positive implications when the goal is realized? (pleasure)
- Find a coach who can be an accountability check-in and also encourage you when you get off track.
Each of these tips can boost the likelihood of reaching your aspirations.
Life coaching is a viable avenue to assure success in any area of your life: health, relationships, career, transitions, and more. Having an objective guide can move you along in the process, sometimes exponentially. In our private practice at Lenox Pointe, we assist individuals in setting goals, removing obstacles, maintaining accountability, and reinforcing successes.
We facilitate this process through in-person, telephone, and skype/video sessions and email support. We can be of assistance to you in actualizing your inner power to manifest your goals through our structured approach. Contact us for that push and support you need to realize those well-deserved dreams. Visit our websites for more info on all of our services and groups.
Happy New Year!
Angela and Dennis Buttimer,
Authors, CALM, Choosing To Live Mindfully