Here's an update from the Friends of Briarwood Park regarding the ongoing renovations and additions to the Briarwood Rec Center community, including the new playground currently being installed:
- The group is tentatively planning a cleanup on March 2 or later that includes using a DeKalb County Bobcat for possibly cutting a new trail and cleaning out some surrounding underbrush.
- Wood chips are needed for putting down on the new trail.
- Supplies such as railroad ties and granite are needed to cut a stair case into the birm at the park, for a second entrance to the new playground.
- The group is requesting DeKalb County to remove the barbed wire around the pool.
- Also in the works is a neighborhood film night at Briarwood sometime in May to coincide with the park opening, possibly as a fundraiser for improving the park's grounds.
- The group is recommending a sidewalk be installed along the entire length of Briarwood Way, from Briarwood Road to Drew Valley Road, as the new playground draws families on foot and on bikes.
- Also being proposed is a new restroom facility to be added near the pavillion. Currently, the only such facility is in the Rec Center itself, which is not adjacent to the new playground.